you can still vote #yes2av if you’re not here on May 5th

21 Mar

Whilst out and about over the last few weeks many local people have told me that they won’t be here on May 5th and so won’t be able to vote in the Referendum. Of course, this is not true.

If you are going to be away from Northern Ireland, whether as a student, or away on holiday, or working away from home, and are registered to vote, you can apply for a postal or proxy ballot.

Contact the Electoral Office for Northern Ireland to get the form.

Some frequently asked questions about Postal and Proxy voting

Can I apply to vote by post or proxy?

If you are listed on the electoral register and you cannot reasonably be expected to vote in person at your polling station, you can apply to vote by post or proxy. The Deputy Returning Officer for your area will decide if the application is approved on those grounds.

When do I have to return my application by?

The deadline for the return of completed applications for the elections and referendum on 5 May is 5.00pm on 11 April 2011.

Will one application cover both elections and the referendum?

Yes, you only need to submit one application for both elections and the referendum.

Can anyone be a proxy? Do they have to be listed on the register?

Your proxy must be aged 18 or over and be a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European citizen (note: a European citizen cannot act as your proxy for the referendum). They do not have to be listed on the electoral register.

A person can only be the proxy for close relatives (husband, wife, civil partner, child, grandchild, brother, sister, parent or grandparent) and up to two other people at the same election.

My proxy won’t be able to make to the polling station on polling day – can he apply for a postal vote?

Yes he can apply for a postal vote up until 5.00pm on 11 April.

What identity does a proxy voter have to produce at the polling station?

They will have to produce one of the following identity documents:

  • A UK, Irish or EEA driving licence (photographic part)
  • A UK, Irish or EU passport
  • An Electoral Identity Card
  • A Translink Senior SmartPass
  • A Translink 60+ SmartPass
  • A Translink War Disabled SmartPass
  • A Translink Blind Person’s SmartPass

Can I email/fax my application to you?

No, we require an original signature so cannot accept applications by email or fax.

Can I apply for an absent vote at an Area Electoral Office?

You can obtain the form from the Area Electoral Office but you will need to go and get it attested and then return with your application. We advise you to download the form from our website and get it fully completed before leaving it in to an Area Electoral Office.

When will I receive my postal vote?

Your postal vote will be issued from 19-21 April.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: